Monday, April 23, 2018

Honor and What It Means


I was thinking about the word honor and how we as individuals view it. Wikipedia states honour (American spelling honor) is an abstract concept entailing a perceived quality of worthiness and respectability that affects both the social standing and the self-evaluation of an individual or institution such as a family, school, regiment or nation.I felt honor even when my daughter was graduated with Honors, receiving her Masters Degree last year. I felt honor because I had instilled the characteristics that she needed throughout her lifetime to achieve honor. 

Honor can be used as a noun, adjective, and verb so it has multiple uses but these all point to high regard or esteem that you recognize or bestow to someone. Honor has a close relationship with the word, integrity,an honorable word showing character. According to Wikipedia, "integrity is the qualification of being honest and having strong moral principles, or moral uprightness. It is generally a personal choice to hold oneself to consistent moral and ethical standards." It is my opinion that we as a society use the words honor and integrity, frivolously not bestowing the honor due these words.  The poem was written yesterday to honor Earth Day.   Susans Soul...




Honor God's Earth


Ever green rain or sun,
or drought beheld.
Even snow presents 
her wondrous quiet.
Rain shows tears from
Heaven's wish for peace.

Grass does not war;
Nor do flowers strike. 
Why must we attempt
to alter each other?
Rain does not cause
anger but nourishes.
Snow celebrates the
beauty of God's season.
Even drought's dryness 
foreshadows His power 
throughout the land.

Welcome Earth and
what she gives to us.
Adorned in her bounty
is God's Grace given
to us as sinners despite 
our gift of redemption.

Praises to Heaven 
and Earth's beauty.
Give back to Earth
respect and love.
Give God thanks
for His Earth.

Susans Soul



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts...

Moving Day! I have moved my blog to my own website with Bluhost as my host. My blog can be reached at https://susansoulpoetry.com i...